Joel Freeson Carico : Architect
in association with DSE Architecture

A restoration and remodel project in Old Towne Orange National Register District, a part of the City of Orange in Orange County, California that is listed on the National Registry of Historic Places.  The original building, built around 1920, housed a truck repair garage.  The new Tenant is a sandwich and ice cream shop.  The original building had 10 foot tall garage doors at each of three truck bays.  Due to the current retail needs, the original doors could not be recreated.  Wood and glass storefronts, matching similar storefronts of the era and approved by the City and the local historical society, were designed for the new Tenant.

In this 1927 photograph, the original building can be seen on the far left.  The facade was exposed brick with a stucoo or painted signage area.  The 10 foot tall openings for the truck bays are clearly visible.

To restore the facade as closely as possible to it's original appearance, the stucco, applied about 1950, needed to be removed to reveal the original brick .

As can be seen in the 1927 photograph above, the original awnings for the businesses in Orange were fabric.  Over the decades, particularly in the 1950s, fabric awnings were replaced with solid canopies, as evidenced in these recent photographs, taken shortly before work began on this project.  Options for both solid canopies and fabric awnings were modeled and presented to the Owner, the City of Orange, and the Historical Society for review.  It was decided to return the building as closely as possible to it's original appearance with the use of fabric awnings.